Events such as natural disasters have had a profound impact on the victims. These psychological effects have a traumatic and emotional effect on the victim.
The traumatic situation is an event that causes physical, emotional, psychological or mental injury. Someone who is experiencing distress or trauma may be worried or frightened. In some cases they may not know how to respond or may deny the occurrence. These individuals need help and time to heal themselves while stabilizing their emotions and mental.
One of the most effective way to reduce the suffering of this trauma is to meet the professional officers like the counselors.
Counseling: A systematic helpful relationship process between client and counselor based on the psychological principles undertaken by professional counselors to bring about the changes, development and personal adjustment of the client, for good and thoroughly via voluntarily throughout life based on counseling ethics.
Trauma / Disaster: A terrible experience or illness that is caused by injuries and emotional stress.
Trauma may occur from various situations. Among the situations are:
- Death of family members, friends, or pets
- Natural disaster
- Moving to a new place
- Neglect or abandon by parents
- Experiencing death or other traumatic events
- Rape victims
Psychological trauma counseling
- To reduce stress and tension
- To minimize unwanted concerns and behaviors
- To reduce emotional suffering caused by traumatic events
Psychological reaction to trauma
- Emotional disorders
- Cognitive disorders
- Physical suffering
- Awareness of the effects of trauma
- The minimum level of functionality
Tips on dealing with trauma
Studies show that most people are able to recover from a tragedy. It is normal for someone who is under pressure after experiencing a disaster but after several months someone is able to function as usual.
- Give time to adjust.
- Get help from someone who cares and understand the situation you are facing.
- Express your feelings.
- Get help from a support group headed by a trained expert.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Maintain and improve daily routine.
- Avoid making big decisions.
- Kesihatan Mental – www.myhealth.gov.my
|Last Reviewed||:||31 October 2017|
|Writer||:||Dr. Norizzati Bukhary Bt. Ismail Bukhary|
|Accreditor||:||Dr. Zienna Zufida Bt. Zainol Rashid|