What is Duromine?
Duromine is a product containing Phentermine as an active ingredient. Phentermine is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine. It is combined with a resin which slowly releases the phentermine so that the effect of Duromine lasts all day.
What Duromine is used for?
Duromine is used to reduce body weight in obese or overweight patients.
It is recommended that Duromine should be used as a part of an overall weight management plan which include healthy diet regimen and exercise program.
Duromine is only available with a doctor’s prescription. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How does it work?
Phentermine is an appetite suppressant. It works by directly affecting the area of the brain that controls your appetite making you feel less hungry.
What is the dosage for Duromine?
In adults and children over 12 years old, the usual dose of Duromine is one capsule daily in the morning. The recommended starting dose is 30mg daily and the maintenance dose is 15-30mg daily depending on responsiveness .
Your doctor will tell you if Duromine 30mg, Duromine15mg or Duromine 40mg is the correct dosage for you. Follow your doctor’s instruction exactly and never change the dose yourself. Increasing the dose may expose you to more side effect instead of loosing more weight.
How to take Duromine ?
It is advised to take Duromine at breakfast time so that it does not keep you awake at night. Duromine capsules should be swallowed whole and with plenty of water. Do not crush, chew , break or open the capsules. It is specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking or opening the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
You may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop using this medication after using it over a long period of time. Do not stop using this medication suddenly without consulting your doctor. The dose should be tappered down slowly before stopped the medication.
Do not take Duromine in the evening because it may cause difficulty in sleeping (insomnia).
What precautions should be taken before using Duromine?
Inform your doctor and pharmacist of the following:
- Any allergies that you may have, especially if you have a known allergy to phentermine.
- Any other medicines that you are taking at the time (both prescription and over the counter)
- If you have or have ever had any medical history includes high blood pressure, a heart condition, arteriosclerosis, overactive thyroid, diabetes, glaucoma or drug abuse.
- If you are pregnant, suspect you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant or you are breast-feeding . If you become pregnant whilst taking Duromine call your doctor.
- If you are prone to agitated states.
Other than that:
- You should regularly visit your doctor for a medical check up
- Tell your doctor immediately if you experience sudden or rapid weight loss, difficulty breathing, chest pain, fainting, swelling of the lower limbs and if you can not exercise as much as you usually can.
- Be careful driving or operating machinery until you know Duromine affects you. You should know this drug may make you drowsy.
- Do not drink alcohol whilst taking Duromine.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist before you start to take any cough or cold medication.
What to do when there is a missed dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at your next scheduled time.
Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose. If you forget to take your Duromine dose at breakfast, take it no later than lunchtime.
Alternatively, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose at the normal time on the next day. If you take Duromine any later than lunch-time you may have trouble sleeping at night.
Never take a double dose to make up for a dose you have missed.
What are the side effects of Duromine?
Side effects of Duromine include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, constipation, an unpleasant taste, hives, impotence, palpitations, high blood pressure, and fast heart rates (palpitations).
Central nervous system side effects include hyperactivity, insomnia, restlessness, tremor, dizziness and headache.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible
- If you do not feel well while you are taking Duromine.
- If you experience sudden or rapid weight loss, difficulty breathing, chest pain, fainting, swelling of the lower limbs and if you can not exercise as much as you usually can.
Can I take Duromine if I am pregnant or planning to get pregnant?
Impotence and changes in sexual drive are among Duromine known side effects. Do not take Duromine if you’re pregnant or intending to be pregnant. Duromine should be avoided in lactating women and you should consult with your doctor for alternative and suitable solutions if any.
Is there any condition where the Duromine is contraindicated?
Duromine is contraindicated in the following medical conditions:
- very high blood pressure.
- high blood pressure in the lung.
- problems with the valves in your heart.
- disease related to blood vessels in the brain.
- severe heart disease including changes in the rhythm or rate of the heart beat.
- narrowing of the blood vessels due to thickening or hardening of the blood vessel wall.
- overactive thyroid gland.
- psychiatric illness including anorexia nervosa (loss of appetite) and depression.
- glaucoma (high pressure in the eye).
|Last reviewed||:||20 March 2015|
|Writer||:||Debbie Sim Sook En|
|Reviewer||:||Rokiah bt. Isahak|
|:||Che Pun bt. Bujang|