Mental health is a concept surrounding the needs of balancing the physical, psychological, spiritual and social components. The components are interrelated and affect the ability of individual to react accordingly and appropriately. Mental health cannot be separated from physical well being. Mental and physical health and illness represent crucial parts of life and deeply interdependent. Presence of illness or any physical problem affects emotion of the individual and the entire family.
- Depression is present in 1 of 5 outpatients with coronary heart disease.
- Depression can lead to poor lifestyle such as unhealthy eating, less exercise, smoking, alcohol abuse, and weigh gain.
- More than 50% of cancer patients are suffering from various forms of emotional problems.
Effects of physical illness on mental health
- uncertainty about the future
- search for meaning
- loss of self control
- sense of failure
- being secretive
- fear of treatment
Effects of mental Illness on physical health
- Disruption of immune system
- Disruption of blood coagulation profile
- Surge of stress hormones
- Increase risk of heart attack or stroke
- Poor control of blood pressure and sugar
- Poor life style
6. What can you do?. There are many possible strategies that you can do to overcome this issue, such as:-
- Building resilience – Make good relationship with close family members, friends or important others. Sharing thoughts about your feeling regarding illness may make them to understand better.
- Rational acceptance – Try to look beyond the present to how future circumstances may be a little better. Positive attitude towards your illness can motivate the spirit to look forward for treatment
- Accept changes – Accepting things that cannot be changed can help you focus on circumstances that you can alter. You can modify certain things in your life towards betterment of disease control.
- Move toward your goals – Develop some realistic goals. Small accomplishments enable you move towards your goals. Establishment towards healthy life style promotes the confidence in you.
- Look for opportunities for self discovery – Learn something about yourself and you may find that you have grown in some respect dealing with the hardship. It increases sense of self-worth, a more developed spirituality and heightened appreciation of life. Strong and good faith will bring you to continuous effort to recover from illness.
- Nurture a positive view of yourself – Develop confidence in your ability to solve problems and trusting your instinct. Having a medical illness does not mean you end of your life fruitlessly.
- Maintain a hopeful outlook – Learn to have optimistic outlook enables you to visualize what you want rather than worrying what you fear. You should decide what action to take in order to make a change.
- Take care of yourself – Pay attention to your own needs and feelings. Engage in activities that you enjoy and find relaxing. Exercise regularly. This will keep your mind and body primed to deal with situations that require resilience. To keep up with healthy body will result in healthy mind.
|Last Reviewed||:||31Januari 2013|
|Writer||:||Dr. Azizul Bin Awaluddin|