Why is quitting smoking good?
- Better breath.
- Improved stamina.
- Better health.
- Better public acceptance.
- Protecting others from smoking-related health problems.
- Save money.
- Protect the environment.
Why is it hard to quit?
- Nicotine in the tobacco is addictive.
- Pleasant effects of smoking (e.g. feeling more alert and awake) is immediate but last short lasting.
- Physical agitation and other withdrawal symptoms – Discomfort from not smoking.
How do you quit?
- Admit you have a problem.
- Make up your mind.
- Set a date to quit.
- Avoid temptation.
- Get help from friends.
- Find something better to do e.g. picnic.
- Plan days without smoking.
- Build self confidence.
- Put in writing-reminding yourself of quitting.
- Seek professional help
- Quit smoking directory (government clinics – www.infosihat.gov.my, Malaysian websites – www.notobacco.org).
Tips on how to overcome the desire to smoke
|Last Reviewed||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||Dr. Nor Saleha bt. Ibrahim Tamin|
|Prof. Madya Dr. Alvin Ng Lai Oon|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Wan Fadhilah bt. Wan Ismail|
|:||Dr. Salmiah bt. Md. Sharif|