Pre-marital HIV test can be done in any government health clinics in Malaysia and it is offered for free. The main objective of this program is to allow individuals to know their HIV status, mainly among high risk people and subsequently to take further steps to prevent the transmission of the disease to other people. Individuals who are infected are given health education, counseling, treatment etc. to ensure their health and wellbeing are taken care of.
IMPLEMENTATION PROCEDURE FOR HIV SCREENING AT GOVERNMENT HEALTH CLINICS
- Future bride/ groom are required to register at the registration counter and fill in the pre-marital HIV test request forms
- The HIV screening using Rapid Test method is performed by the responsible health clinic staffs
- The results of HIV screening using the Rapid Test method is available within 5 to 20 minutes (depending on the type of kit used). The test result will be informed to the future bride/groom
- If the HIV Rapid Test result is NON-REACTIVE:
- The future bride/groom will be informed regarding the result
- They will not be given counseling unless they are at risk of getting HIV
- Those who are at risk of getting HIV will be given counseling and appointment to repeat the test in 3 to 6 months
- If the HIV Rapid Test result is REACTIVE:
- The future bride/ groom will be given counseling and HIV confirmatory test will be performed. The result of HIV confirmatory test will take approximately 2 weeks. Therefore, they will be given appointment to health clinic in 2 to 3 weeks to get the result and counseling.
- The result of HIV confirmatory test and counseling will be given to the future bride/ groom
- The result will be either confirmed HIV positive (infected) or negative
Results Of The Pre Marital Hiv Rapid Test Is Confidential.
The decision to carry on with the wedding is up to the couple.
Currently the muslim couples are mandatory for pre marital screening as for the other religion group, it is optional but highly encouraged.
|Last Reviewed||:||28 August 2020|
|Writer||:||Mohd Sabtuah Royali|
|Translator||:||Dr. Nor Faizah bt. Ghazali|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Nor Faizah bt. Ghazali|