Postnatal exercise is for mothers to do after delivery.
Types of exercises
It is recommended to start the exercises on the 1 st day of normal delivery.
You can start exercising even when you are still lying on the bed.
Try these :
- Move feet up and down, 10 times
- Move feet in circle movement, clockwise and anticlockwise, 10 times
- Deep breathing exercises, 3 times
Repeat these exercises 3 times / day.
As you progress, you may vary the position (lying, sitting, and standing) while exercising :
- Pull in your pelvic floor muscles, feel the contraction and relax, 5 times.
- Pull in tummy and relax, 5 times
- Tighten buttocks and relax, 5 times
Depends on your capability and ability, you can proceed to the following:
- Lie on tummy with one or two pillows under hips; pull in tummy and relax – 5 times
- Lie on tummy; pull in pelvic floor muscle and relax – 5 times
- Lie on tummy; tighten buttock and relax – 5 times
- Back strengthening exercises
Back strengthening exercises
- Lying with head and shoulder supported, hip and knee slightly bend; flatten your back against bed and relax – 5 times.
- Lying with head and shoulder supported, hip and knee slightly bend; tighten your tummy and lift up your buttocks off bed – 5 times.
- Lying on the tummy, lift head and shoulder off bed – 5 times.
Exercises that can be done after Caesarian section
Start exercise on the day after your operation.
The following are some of the exercises recommended :
- Breathing exercise
- Leg and foot exercise
Second day after operation, exercise should be done slowly and gently in any comfortable position on the bed.
- Static abdominal exercise :
- Tighten your tummy and relax. 5 times each session; 3 times /day.
- Pelvic floor contraction (Kegel’s exercise) :
- Squeeze your pelvic floor muscle as though you are preventing the flow of urine, feel the lift up of the pelvic floor muscle and hold for 5 seconds, than relax – 10 times each session; 3 times / day.
- Take 5 slow, deep breath and relax.
- Repeat every hour when you are awake for the first two days.
This is to help keep your lungs clear and prevent chest complication.
- Bend your knees up, sit forward and support your wound firmly with a pillow.
- Breath in, hold and cough deeply
- Repeat 3 times
This is to bring up secretion from airway.
Leg and foot exercise
- Move your ankles up and down. Repeat 10 times
- Draw circles with both feet. Repeat 10 times.
- Bend and straighten knees alternately. Repeat 10 times.
This is to improve blood circulation.
Exercises to be avoided immediately following operation
- Double legs lifting
- Sitting up from lying position
- Jumping and hopping
- Welford H (1998). The complete guide from planning to birth. Reader’s Digest.
- David Araujo (April 1997). Expecting questions about exercise and pregnancy. The Physical and sport medicine (vol 25 no 4).
|Last Reviewed||:||23 August 2019|
|Writer||:||Dr. Nor Filzatun Borhan|
|Accreditor||:||Pn Hamidah Ishak
Pn. Hjh Asiah Mohd Hashim
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Rafaie bin Amin|