To relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis, i.e: pain and function limitation
Mechanism of Action
Glucosamine sulphate stimulates the manufacturing of synovial fluid for proper joint function and joint repair stimulation.
Glucosamine sulphate provides lubricant activity for the synovial fluid, it improves the synovial fluid viscosity and increase the production.
Therefore Glucosamine sulphate provides the therapeutic effects such as
- Reduces articular pain
- Improves the articular function
- Inhibits the articular degenerative process
Before you use this medicine
Hypersensitivity to glucosamine or to any of the excipients. As the active ingredient is obtained from seafood (shellfish), the product should not be given to patients who are allergic to shellfish.
This product is an adjuvant therapy and the therapeutic effect can only be seen after 1 week. Therefore, in case of intense pains it is desirable to take an inflammatory drug in addition during the first days of treatment.
To be taken into consideration by patients on a controlled sodium diet. The administration in patients with severe hepatic or renal insufficiency should be made under medical supervision.
Due to a lack of scientific evidence on human reproductive function or on lactation, it is recommended that glucosamine should be used only under medical control during both pregnancy and breastfeeding . Administration during the first trimester should be avoided.
Glucosamine may increase insulin resistance and consequently affect glucose tolerance.
Diabetics who are under medical treatment, decide to use glucosamine will need to monitor their blood glucose and may need to adjust the doses of the medications they take to control blood glucose. This needs to be done under medical supervision.
Do not take glucosamine sulphate if you are taking warfarin. Many natural medicines can interact with warfarin which is used to slow blood clotting. There are several reports showing that taking glucosamine sulphate with or without chondroitin increases the effect of warfarin, making blood clotting even slower. This can cause bruising and bleeding that can be serious.
How to use this medicine
The recognized dosage for Glucosamine is 1,500mg per day
This can be taken either in one dose i.e 1,500mg
Or split in to three equal doses i.e 500mg three times a day.
How to take
Dissolve in a glass of water and drink.
Capsules and tablets
Take the medicine with a full glass of water.
When to take
Glucosamine is generally taken with food i.e at meal times.
How long you take
Severe osteoarthritis symptoms :
Initially treatment 500mg three times daily is recommended during a period of at least 8 weeks.
Follow-up therapy :
Maintenance therapy should be followed for 3-4 months (as according to medical prescription) by administration of 500mg twice daily. The treatment of osteoarthritis should be repeated every other 6 months or less according to medical prescription.
If you forget to take
Take it as soon as you as remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine. Do not double the dose.
While taking this medicine
You should tell your doctor or pharmacists if you are taking any other medicines , pregnant, breastfeeding or allergic to shellfish.
Possible side effects
All medicines may have some unwanted side effects. Sometimes they are serious, but most of the time they are not. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any side effects which are severe or persist.
Possible side effects
- Gastro intestinal – Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dyspepsia or epigastric pain flatulence, constipation, heartburn and aneroxia
- Skin reactions – cutaneous rash, erythema, pruritus, contact dermatitis, rash popular, urticarial and eczema.
- Central nervous system – Drowsiness, headache, somnolence, insomnia.
Storage and disposal
- Do not use the product after the expiry date indicated on the label.
- Do not store above 30’C.
- The expiry date applies to the correctly stored product in the intact package. Keep out of reach of children.
In case of overdose
In case of overdose seek immediate medical attention.
- Artril Forte (Glucosamine Sulphate), AV Manufacturing Sdn. Bhd.(risalah produk)
- Persiani S, Rotini R, Trisolino G, et al. Synovial and plasma glucosamine concentrations in osteoarthritic patients following oral crystalline glucosamine sulphate at therapeutic dose.Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2007;15:764-72.
- Viartril-S 500 (Glucosamine Sulfate), ROTTAPHARM Ltd.(risalah produk)
- Yue QY, Strandell J, Myrberg O. Concomitant use of glucosamine may potential the effect of warfarin. The Uppsala Monitoring Centre. Available at: http://www.who-umc.org/graphics/25284.pdf (Accessed 1st August 2013)
|Last Reviewed||:||20 January 2014|
|Writer||:||Munirah Athirah bt. Kamalludin|
|Accreditor||:||Nur Azibahwati bt. Aziz|