Why is foot care important?
What are the common foot problems?
Causes And Description
|Corns and calluses||
What are the common causes of foot problems?
- Ill fitting shoes
- Years of wear and tear
- Poor circulation
- Improperly trimmed toenails
How should you care for your feet?
- Check feet regularly
- Practice good foot hygiene
- Choose suitable shoes
- Improve blood circulation to feet by:
- Regular exercise
- Gentle massage
- Warm foot bath
- Elevation of the feet after prolonged standing or when tired
- Avoid activities that reduce blood circulation to feet, such as:
- Pressure from tight shoes
- Sitting too long
- Sitting with legs crossed for long periods
- Wearing tight pants/stockings
How do you choose suitable shoes?
- Use the right footwear for a specific activity
- Always measure feet before buying shoes as foot width may increase with age
- Buy shoes in the evening because your feet expand through the day
- Try out the shoes on both feet and walk around in the store
- Ensure enough space for your toes to move
- Choose shoes where the upper part is made of a soft, flexible material to match the shape of foot. Soft leather is a good choice because it normally does not cause skin irritation
- Choose a thick and soft sole because it lessens pressure when walking on hard surface, and shoes that have good arch support
|Last Reviewed||:||28 August 2020|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Nor Asiah bt. Hashim|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Nazhatussima bt. Suhaili|