Why is there a big issue with tobacco and smoking?
- It is the only legal consumer item that is highly addictive and kills half of its regular users.
- Linked to various health problems – eg : respiratory, cancer, heart.
What are the types of tobacco smoking?
Smoking may be in the forms of :
- Cigars (Cheroot / Cigarillos).
- Tobacco in pipe.
- Seesha (flavoured water-smoking ; Kamar).
Is there any data on the impact of smoking in Malaysia?
- About 50% of Malaysian men (18 years and above) smoke.
- About 20% teenagers smoke.
- 85% of teenagers end up as cigarette addicts.
- An estimated 3,500 out of 10,000 deaths are related to smoking in Malaysia each year.
What makes a smoker addicted to cigarette?
- Cigarettes contain nicotine which is very addictive, much like heroine and cocaine.
- Repetitive smoking leads to addiction or dependence.Why is smoking dangerous?
Smoking is :
- Related to tobacco related diseases e.g. cancers and heart disease, respiratory / breathing problems.
- Gateway to illicit drug (dadah) abuse.
How is smoking dangerous?
- When smoked, the cigarette releases about 4000 poisonous chemicals.
- Approximately 63 of these chemicals may cause cancer.
Can people surrounding the smoker get the ill-effect?
Yes you can unwittingly become a passive smoker i.e. smoking second hand smoke that comes from a smoker and get the same undesired outcomes like asthma, heart disease etc.
What are the dangerous chemicals in cigarette smoke?
Of the 4000 poisons the more well-known ones are :
What are the diseases related to smoking and may cause death?
- Airway diseases (Breathing Problems).
- Lung cancer.
- Breast cancer.
- Nose-throat cancer.
- Mouth cancer.
- Food tube (aesophageal) cancer.
- Heart disease.
- Renal cancer.
- Stomach (Peptic) ulcer.
Is passive smoking less dangerous?
No it is the reverse because :
- Compared to the smoke that smokers take in, second hand smoke contains :
- 2 times the nicotine.
- 3 times the tar.
- 5 times more carbon monoxide.
- 50 times more dangerous chemicals.
Are there any law and regulations on tobacco smoking?
Yes, it is a crime for teenagers to smoke, buy or even to handle any tobacco products. Smoking is prohibited in many places including :
- Hospitals and clinics.
- Government buildings.
When is smoking considered an addiction?
- You get the general feeling of uneasiness and craving when not smoking.
- Some symptoms arise and they may include :
- Bodily symptoms :
- Faster heartbeat.
- Shallow breathing.
- Thought patterns :
- Thinking of wanting another puff of cigarette.
- Having anxious thoughts and worries.
- Inability to concentrate.
- Emotional patterns :
- Behavioural patterns :
- Decline in school attendance discipline.
- Dropping out of school.
- Change in attitude and behaviour.
- Involvement in crime e.g. stealing to fund habit.
- Bodily symptoms :
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Nor Saleha bt. Ibrahim Tamin|
|:||Prof. Madya Dr. Alvin Ng Lai Oon|
|:||Dr. Zarehah bt. Dato’ Mohd Zain|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Iskandar Firzada b. Osman|