Why is eye care important for you?
Eyes are exposed to air pollutants, bacteria, dry air, wind, cosmetics and other factors continuously
These factors may put your eyes at risk to:
- Allergy reactions
How should you take care of your eyes?
When watching TV:
- Keep a distance of more than 2 m
- If you find yourself watching TV too close to the screen, you should have a vision test done
- Do not watch TV while lying down
- Hold reading material at a distance of 33 cm – 40 cm
- Do not read while lying down
When using a computer:
- Take an eye break. Look at an object several feet away for 10 seconds every 10 minutes
- Change your work pace. Move around at least after 2 hours, giving both your eyes and your body a needed rest
- Blink! Less blinking means less lubrication from tears, resulting in dry, irritated eyes. Consider using artificial tear drops if you work at your computer for extended periods
- Sit up. Good posture will help prevent muscle soreness in neck and back
- Adjust your monitor. Position your monitor 20 to 30 inches from your eyes, about an arm’s length away
- Adjust your keyboard. Put your keyboard directly in front of the monitor
- If you wear spectacles or contacts, make sure the correction is right for computer work
Ensure you have adequate lighting when reading:
- 60 to 100 watt light bulb is adequate for persons with normal vision
- 150 to 200 watt light bulb is adequate for persons with reduced vision
Wear proper safety eye wear when participating in sports.
Eat foods that contain vitamin A like carrots, spinach, papayas and tomatoes.
Do not look directly at the sun:
- The best way to protect the eyes from the sun is to wear sunglasses designed to screen UV radiation
- Never look at the sun directly, even through sunglasses
Do not put any medications into your eyes without prescription.
Consult your doctor if you have:
- Red eyes
- Painful eyes
- Blurred vision
- Foreign body in your eye
- Injury to your eye
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Salmiah bt. Md. Sharif|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Norharlina bt. Bahar|