What is anxiety?
It refers to feeling uneasy; afraid; worried; concerned and nervous.
It is a natural feeling we experience from time to time.
Anxiety sometimes motivates you to be more prepared in facing undesirable situations.
What causes anxiety?
It is completely natural to worry about your life.
However, constant worry will badly affect your daily functioning.
Teenagers can have anxiety for various reasons, for examples:
- Overanxious parents
- Personal temperament:
- Easily worried
- Previous traumatic experiences
How do you tell if a person has anxiety?
- A person with anxiety:
- Is easily startled
- Is unable to relax
- Has difficulty concentrating
- Frequently feels irritable
- Has trouble getting a good sleep
- Easily feels tired and lacks energy
- Frequently has fearful thoughts
How can you overcome anxiety?
- Various things that can be done, including:
- Sharing fears with someone you trust
- Reading articles related to the problem faced
- Practicing a healthy lifestyle
- Learning essential coping skills
- Learning to relax
- Engaging in spiritual activities
What if anxiety is not relieved?
Anxiety can lead to:
- Physical complications:
- Weight loss
- Psychological complications:
- Low Self-esteem
- Sleep disturbances
- Loss of appetite
- Social complications:
- Absence from school
- Inability to make friends
- Alcohol or drug abuse
Where can you get help?
You can seek help from your:
- Trusted family members
- School counselors
- Religious teachers
Seek professional help from:
|Last Reviewed||:||20 April 2012|
|Writer||:||Dr. Hj. Mohd Nizam bin Abd Ghani|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Lazli Bin Bakar|