What are warts?
Warts are viral infection of skin caused by human papillomavirus. These viruses can spread to other parts of the body and to other people who have contact with the wart.
What are the common types of warts?
- Common wart – small, hard, rough bump that usually occurs on the hands and fingers.
- Plantar wart – occurs on the soles of the feet. It may resemble calluses or corns but disrupt the natural lines of the skin.
- Flat warts are usually found on the face and hands.
What are the symptoms and signs?
Warts usually do not cause any symptoms. Plantar warts may be painful.
How can warts be treated?
Most warts will disappear spontaneously in a few years. If the warts are painful or causing cosmetic problems, consult your doctor for further treatment.
How can warts be prevented?
Warts are contagious.Their spread can be prevented by the following measures :
- Do not share gloves or shoes with others
- Maintain good personal hygiene
- Wash your hands regularly and keep them dry
- Do not walk barefoot around public swimming pools
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Norrashidah Hj. Abd Wahab|
|Dr. Nor Mahani Harun|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Sabeera Begum bt. Kader Ibrahim|