What is virginity?
Virginity is the state of a person who has never engaged in sexual intercourse. In our cultural and religious context being a virgin is associated with the notion of personal status, pureness, honor and worth.
Do virginity matters?
- Some teens feel that they have to lose their virginity to be accepted by their friends and Sexual intercourse may lead to very serious physical, emotional and health consequences. You have to consider a lot of factors such as emotional factors; health factors i.e. getting pregnant, sexually transmitted disease including HIV and moral factors i.e. family values, religious beliefs and personal values. All these factors will provide you with guidance to resist pressures to get sexually involved when you are not ready.
- What matter to you is the most valuable thing, it makes you unique and different among your It may make you feel good about yourself in the future and true friends will respect your decisions.
- Don’t get misled by electronic media, TV sinetrons and movies showing teenagers are okay with being sexually active and becoming In reality, every teen need to think carefully about what it means to lose virginity, to be sexually active and face the consequences.
What is cool about abstinence?
Abstinence is staying away from having sexual intercourse. Teenager who decide to practice abstinence do not have sexual intercourse before marriage.
For these teens there are so many cool reasons to do so:
- They don’t have to worry about becoming pregnant
- They are protected completely from getting infected with sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhoea, HIV and
- They strongly abide to their religious beliefs
- They will wait until they are emotionally ready for it and are ready to face the consequences, usually after marriage.
- They are in charge of their own happiness and their physical and mental
Whom to discuss your decisions regarding sex?
Don’t make decisions without consulting or talking to a trusted person such as:
- Older siblings, aunties, uncles
- Any trusted adult
- Responsible friend
There are lots of teenagers who aren’t interested in rushing to have sex and they gain in a stronger sense of self respect, self-confidence and building good self-image. Caution: one single sexual act may ruin teenager’s health forever.