What is transvestism?
- This is an example of a paraphilia, which is a sexual deviant behaviour.
- Transvestism means getting sexual arousal by dressing up in clothes of the opposite sex.
- Known as cross-dressing or dressing in drag in order to feel sexually stimulated.
- More common in males than females.
A male gets sexual satisfaction by dressing up in girl’s clothes. He may use his wife or girlfriend’s undergarments (bras, panties). He may feel guilty and uncomfortable about deriving sexual satisfaction in this way. Some marriages and relationships fail because of this.
When to seek help?
If you are:
- Engaged in transvestism.
- Having tendencies towards transvestism.
- In contact with someone who needs help.
Whom and where to seek help from?
The first step is to open up and tell someone whom you trust.
- Family doctor.
Some helpful organizations are :
- Link to government agencies
- Link to NGO’s
- Befrienders: www.befrienders.org.my
- Malaysian Consultative Council for Buddhism Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism: www.mccbchs.bobjots.org
- Islamic Medical Association of Malaysia: www.ppim.org.my
- Federation of Planning Associations Malaysia: www.ffpam.org.my:
- Malaysian Medical Association: www.mma.org.my
- Malaysian Psychiatric Associations: www.psychiatry-malaysia.org
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Nazrila Hairizan bt. Nasir|
|Reviewer||:||Datin Dr. Hjh. Zil Falillah bt. Hj. Mohd. Said|