- Being tall is usually an advantage
- You might be genetically tall as your parents
- There are medical conditions associated with extreme tallness
Are you worried about being tall?
Abnormal “tall stature” may be associated with some medical conditions such as Marfan syndrome and Thyrotoxicosis. Marfan Syndrome is characterized by being tall and having the following:
- Visual problems
- Breathing problems
- Chest pain
- Exceptionally long arms and fingers
Thyrotoxicosis is characterized by :
- Tremors / shaking of your hands
- Excessive sweating
- Increased appetite with weight loss
- Increased heart beat
If you have any one of the above disorders, then you will need to see your doctor for further investigations.
Is being tall a problem?
Although being tall is desirable, you may feel isolated.
Is there any treatment?
Medical treatment will depend on the cause of the tall stature. Your doctor may prescribe hormonal therapy in order to induce pubertal development and to limit final height.
|Last reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Datin Dr. Sheila Marimuthu|
|Dr. Jemah bt. Sajari|
|Dr. Siti Aishah bt. Saidin|
|Reviewer||:||Datin Dr. Sheila Marimuthu|