What is Self-Esteem?
Self-esteem is the value or worth that we associate with or describe ourselves.
Why do you need it?
A good self-esteem will make me:
- Cope well with problems
Self-esteem allows me to make choices between success and failure.
With a good self-esteem I am likely to succeed.
It’s COOL to have a good self-esteem.
How do you know if you don’t have it?
Without a good self-esteem, I will always:
- Not be confident of myself
- Blame myself for failures
- Feel bad about myself
- Be scared to put forward my ideas
- Think that I am unimportant
- Be too critical of myself
- Feel insecure about my future
I will have thoughts like:
- My parents keep yelling at me
- I have poor school performance
- I have been:
- Degraded by my teachers
What if you don’t do anything about it?
Possible consequences are:
- Losing self-confidence
- Indulging in a lot of self-criticism
- Feeling sad
- Always trying to please others
- Trying to copy others
- Always seeing myself as a failure
- Failing as an adult
- Possibly ending with suicide
How can you improve it?
- Concentrate on needs and desire
- Focus and visualize success
- Engage in positive self-talk
- Read positive quotes
- Focus on your strengths
- Give your best at everything you do
- Criticize yourself
- Try to please others
- Try to copy others
“Failures just mean you are not successful YET!”
Where can you get help?
You should seek advice from your:
- Trusted family member
- Religious teachers
Seek professional advice from:
|Last Reviewed||:||20 April 2012|
|Writer||:||Prof. Madya Dr. Mohd Jamil bin Yaacob|
|Writer||:||Pn. Fariz Sakina Bt. Abdullah|