Travelling as a young person is really fun. Many teenagers go on excursions with friends. Most often holidays are very memorable however as a teenager, you have to be aware of dangers that lurk around.
To ensure safety there are few things you need to do before travelling.
- Keep your travel plans, including accommodation details, to yourself. Don’t post on social media.
- Make sure your parents know about your plans and itinerary.
- Do some reading about the place you are visiting.
- Keep a check list of what you need to bring for your holiday.
Some of the things you may need to remember:
- Always keep common medicines for common ailments like fever and pain killers and flu medication.
- Use credit cards more than cash so make sure you have your credit card with you. Some bank may need you to form them that you are travelling abroad and may want to use your credit card there.
- Carry your passport and travel documents close to you at all times the contact details of your embassy
- Keep a photocopy of your passport and all other important documents in a safe place.
- Use insect repellent in areas where there are insect borne illness
- Bring enough sunscreen and use it during the day.
- Make sure you get the appropriate vaccinations way in advance before your travel.
- Always keep a stash of emergency money elsewhere.
- Tag your luggage and always keep them in sight.
- Never agree to hold other people luggage or bags even for a short while especially at the airport or at the customs.
While traveling …..
- Be careful not to hitch hike.
- Avoid to travel at night.
- Avoid “ notorious” areas of the cities you visited for example the red light area.
- Always lock your hotel door when retiring for the night. If there is a chain included, use it.
- Avoid areas such as fights and riots.
- Be discreet when reading a map.
- Always know where to get help in case of emergencies
- Be careful of scams – people who pose as police or tourist agents
- Try to blend with the locals and don’t stand out.
- Stay alert at all times, don’t get distracted.
- Always secure your luggage and laptops
- Always stay connected to your family members on a regular basis
- Try not to take risks with your health and safety.
- Wear protective gear when doing adventure activities.
- Wear a seat belt in taxis or cars.
Food is another interesting thing while travelling. However there are some few reminders.
- Never drink from beverages offered by strangers as your drink can be spiked.
- Be careful about food and water especially in destinations where diarrhoea and food poisoning are rampant.
- If you are a Muslim, be alert about halal food
- Limit alcohol intake, and do not drink alcohol and drive.
- Choose a clean stall or restaurant to avoid food poisoning.
- If you are allergic to any food, always ask the food content
Another important thing to remember is always respect your host country and its people by following the local laws and customs.
Going on holidays as a teenager is a wonderful experience. Whenever you are travelling with your young friends, be aware of the safety tips mentioned above. Enjoy!!
|Last Reviewed||:||28 Ogos 2017|
|Writer||:||Dr. Sheila Marimuthu|
|Accreditor||:||Dr. Salmah Bt. Nordin|