WHAT TEENAGERS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PORNOGRAPHY
The term “pornography” comes from “porneia”, the Greek word for prostitute, and means “the writings of and about prostitutes”.
What is pornography?
Pornography is defined as written or visual material that stimulates sexual feelings, and the primary purpose of which is to arouse the observer or reader. It is also referred to as porn, smut and obscene material.
Can someone become addicted to pornography?
Yes, this is called pornography addiction which is a condition resulting from the overuse or abuse of pornography.
What are the consequences of pornography addiction?
There are many unhealthy consequences:
- It encourages Premarital sex
- It promotes child molestation and sexual violence.
- Negative influence on sexual development.
- Negatives attitudes and values towards sexuality. Examples: abnormal sexual behaviors, abnormal sexual orientation and disrespect towards women – treating women as sex objects.
- Relationship and emotional problems. Examples: guilt, shame,feeling offended, addiction.
- Legal implications. Examples: procession, trading, watching of pornography material is illegal.
Where can you seek help?
You should talk or consult :
- Your parents
- A trusted adult
- A school counselor
- A school teacher
- A doctor
How can you avoid it?
- Avoid obtaining, reading or viewing pornographic materials.
- Get involved in more meaningful activities such as sports, exercise, cultural activities or other volunteer works.
- Abide by teachings in your religion and culture as they too prohibit any type of pornography. Avoid peer-pressure Assertive skills.
What are the legal implications?
The sale of obscene objects to young persons is addressed in Section 239 of the Penal Code which states that whoever sells, lets to hire, distribute exhibits or circulates to any person under the age of twenty years any such obscene objects or offers or attempts to do so, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to five years or with fine or both.
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Wan Fadhilah bt. Wan Ismail|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Salmah bt. Nordin|
|:||Dr. Norizzati Bukhary bt. Ismail Bukhary|