What are negotiating skills?
Negotiating skills refer to the ability that enables one to work towards an agreement These skills are required when two persons want something from each other.
Why do you lack negotiating skills?
Negotiating skills may be lacking due to:
- Lack of experience
- Lack of opportunities to negotiate
- Lack of confidence
- Low self-esteem
What happens when you lack negotiating skills?
You would be unable to:
- Obtain what you want
- Feel satisfied with what you get
- Build your self confidence
- Boost your self-esteem
How do you acquire negotiating skills?
The following steps help in acquiring effective negotiating skills :
- Know what you want
- Learn to express your opinion on what you want
- Develop a plan
- Know what the other person needs
- Be an empathic listener
- Address the problem
- Educate – don’t intimidate
- Be patient
- Be flexible and creative
- Think of the other person as your friend
- Be involved in extra-curricular activities
- Be in positions of responsibility
“Remember that “Practice makes perfect”
Can anyone help me to improve my negotiating skills?
Lacking of self-worth will lead to:
- Belittling yourself in front of your friends
- Not taking care of your physical, mental or spiritual self
- Always looking down at your own capabilities
- Not managing time and resources well
- Like the black sheep of the family
- Unwanted and rejected
- Bad in public
What if you do not do anything about it?
It will make you:
- Have poor self-esteem
- Feel unhappy
- Isolate yourself from your friends
- Think yourself unworthy
- Unable to control your life
How do you improve self-worth?
Try the following strategies:
- Think positive
- Accept yourself for what you are
- Be responsible for your own happiness
- Learn new skills that boost your self-worth
Where can you get help?
You should seek advice from your:
- Trusted family members
- Religious teachers
Seek professional advice from:
|Last Reviewed||:||20 April 2012|
|Writer||:||Dr. Farahida binti Md Dai|
|Reviewer||:||Pn. Fariz Sakina Bt. Abdullah|