What is it?
- This is an example of a paraphillia, which is a sexual deviant behaviour.
- An act of getting sexual satisfaction by showing off genitals to strangers (flashing).
- He gets sexual excitement from the shocked reaction of their victims who are usually young women.
- There is no physical contact in this behaviour.
Exhibitionists are usually males and they are mostly insecure lonely people.
You may have heard of this common scenario. A person is caught after displaying his private parts to women. This usually happens at a park or while the victim is waiting for a bus or going to school or work. This act distresses the victims. Usually a police report will be made and the exhibitionist will be caught.
What to do when you are flashed?
- Look away
- Walk away
- Don’t show any response
- Tell your parents or teachers
- Make a police report.
When to seek help?
If you are:
- Engaged in exhibitionism.
- Having tendencies towards exhibitionism.
- A victim but have not confided to anybody about it.
Whom and where to seek help from?
- Family doctor.
Some helpful organizations are :
- Link to government agencies
- Link to NGO’s
- Befrienders: www.befrienders.org.my
- Malaysian Consultative Council for Buddhism Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism: www.mccbchs.bobjots.org
- Islamic Medical Association of Malaysia: www.ppim.org.my
- Federation of Planning Associations Malaysia: www.ffpam.org.my
- Malaysian Medical Associations: www.mma.org.my
- Malaysian Psychiatric Associations: www.psychiatry-malaysia.org
|Last Reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Nazrila Hairizan bt. Nasir|
|Reviewer||:||Datin Dr. Hjh. Zil Falillah bt. Hj. Mohd. Said|