What should you do when eating out?
- Choose clean premises.
- Choose healthy and safe foods.
What are clean premises?
They are premises that:
- Are located away from dirty and dusty places and free from flies, cockroaches, rats and stray animals.
- Have basic facilities such as clean water supply, electricity, proper drainage, dustbins and washrooms.
- Have good ventilation and are well lit.
- Use proper and clean eating utensils.
- Employ food handlers who practise good hygiene.
- Cover all cooked foods and use tongs and ladle when serving food.
How to choose safe foods?
- Avoid contaminated foods that contain foreign objects such as hair, nail, sand and stone.
- Choose foods that have not been changed in taste, smell and appearance.
- Choose fresh and newly cooked foods.
- Avoid taking burnt foods eg. burnt ‘satay’.
- Ensure canned or packed foods are in good condition.
- Limit intake of foods high in preservatives and artificial colouring.
- Avoid foods that have been refried several times.
How to choose healthy foods when eating out?
- Choose a balanced diet according to the Malaysian Food Pyramid.
- Do not over order. Consume foods in small serving sizes based on your Recomended Nutrient Intake.
- Ask for less sugar beverages.
- Do not add extra/hidden salt such as sauces on the table.
- Order fresh fruit juices instead of soft drinks.
- Ask for extra vegetables with noodles, rice or steaks.
- Ask for salad instead of french fries when ordering fast foods.
- Round off your meals with a fresh fruit salad.
- Top up dessert with fresh fruit pieces.
|Last reviewed||:||19 April 2012|
|Writer||:||Surainee bt. Wahab|
|Munawara bt. Pardi|
|Jamilah bt. Ahmad|
|Azlinda bt. Hamid|
|Reviewer||:||Pn. Rokiah binti Don|