Dental implants are devices that are placed in the jawbone surgically to replace the roots of missing teeth. Implants are stable and feel very natural because they are fused to the bone.
Why should you replace your lost tooth?
Lost tooth should be replaced to:
- avoid drifting of the remaining teeth
- ensure speech will not be affected
- preserve chewing ability
- improve appearance
How are implants used?
Implants are used to:
- replace a single tooth with a crown.
- replace multiple teeth with a bridge.
- replace missing upper or lower teeth with a denture.
What is an implant made of?
Dental implants are made of titanium aloy – materials that are compatible with human bone and tissue.
Can anyone receive dental implants?
To ensure the long-term success of implants, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Good general health.
- Healthy gums.
- Good oral hygiene. Any existing medical condition(e.g. diabetes) is well controlled.
How are implants done?
The procedure requires surgery and the whole treatment may take up to 3 – 6 months to complete. The bone is drilled; the implant is inserted into the bone. It is allowed to heal before a crown or bridge is constructed.
Tips on care for your implants
- Practise good oral health care
- Avoid chewing hard objects
- Do not smoke
Visit your dentist to find out if you are a suitable candidate for dental implants.
- Q: What are the causes of implant failure?
Ans: Implants may fail due to :
- Poor oral hygiene
- Heavy smoker
- Failure of implants to fuse to bone.
- Q: What is the cost of implants treatment?
Ans: As titanium is used, it can be quite expensive and the cost will depend on the number of implants and the complexity of treatment.
|Last reviewed||:||23 August 2019|
|Writer||:||Dr. Chew Yoke Yuen|
|Dr. Norrizan bt. Basir|
|Dr. Doreyat b. Jemun|
|Dr. Che Noor Aini bt. Che Omar|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Roshima bt. Mohd Sharif|