What is decision making?
Decision making is making a choice in achieving a goal
- Making the best choices consistently is the key to success in life
- Making decisions can be tough, so avoiding decisions may seem easier at times
- Making your own decisions is the only way to take charge of your life
- No one makes the right decision every time, but by developing your decision-making skills, you can increase your success rate!
- Being a teenager you will need to make many decisions
- Decisions are usually fluency by your beliefs, your family, your friends and your environment
What is good decision making?
- Making a good decision requires patience and careful thought
- Good decision making is Problem solving following a step-by-step approach and choosing a strategy to act on
- Having good general decision-making skills can help you to protect yourself in many situations
How to make a good decision?
- Selecting the most important changes to make
- Evaluating the relative importance of different options
- Selecting between good options
- Choosing between options by projecting likely outcomes
- Weighing the pros and cons of a decision
- Analyzing the pressures for and against change
- Looking at a decision from all points of view
- Seeing whether a change is worth making
What influences your decision making?
Individual Emotions and Thinking
- Your decisions may be influenced by your emotional state at the time a decision is made
- Your emotions affect how you think and behave
- When you are experiencing positive emotions, you tend to underestimate the negative consequences of your actions
- When you are experiencing negative emotions, you tend to focus on the near term and lose sight of the big picture
- Different people have different styles of making decisions
- You may prefer to gather information before making decisions
- You may rely on instincts and make snap decisions
- You may be inconsistent in your strategies and often indecisive
- Social pressure or time constraints may interfere with your decision making
- Your decision making may be different from adults
- Your friends and other peers can influence your decision making
- You can make good or bad decisions based on your friends’ ideas
- It is important to understand that the decisions that you make in selecting friends and the role of your friends influence your attitudes and behaviors
- Your decision making alone may not be effective without involving the community and neighborhood
- Your thoughts and behaviors in decision making may be influenced by the media
|Last reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Hjh. Normah bt. Che Din|
|Reviewer||:||Dr. Alvin Ng. Lai Oon|