Personal crisis is a problem faced by someone at any time that can distract and cause the person to lose focus in performing daily tasks as usual. Examples of problems that can be considered a personal crisis and can affect daily tasks are the loss of goods, pets or loved ones, fights or conflicts between family members or others.
Definition of problem
Problem is the situation where a thing does not happen as what we want them to be.
Definition of problem solving skills
Skills to make changes to get the desired thing or condition:
- The term problem solving is always used exchangeably with the term decision-making
- Deciding is part of the problem solving process
- To solve the problem, one needs to decide what to do and then do it
Benefits from good problem solving skills
- Be able to identify and give priority to every problems
- Reduce pressure
- Find out better ways to solve problems with better results
- It can reduce wastage in time, workforce and finance
The advice of managing the personal crisis to remain productive:
Personal crisis solution by using IDEAL method
Ask yourself and ask others:
- I = Identify the problem or the cause of the problem:
- What exactly happened?
- Who is involved?
- What are the elements of the problem?
- When will that happen?
- Where does that happen?
- D = Describe – choose the options to solve the problem.
- E = Making Evaluation -The resulting effect of each of these options (good and bad).
- A = Act (Act) – choose an option of which action can be taken.
- L = Learn – review whether the action that has been taken is good.
- D.E.A.L Method – can also be used for the right decision process.
Tips for making the right decisions
- Think about who will be involved in the decisions that will be made and engage them from the very beginning (examples involving parents or people you can talk to and trust).
- Write and record the decision-making process on a paper, so that you can make judgements and analyse all the information needed to make decisions as well as future reference materials.
- Write the advantages and disadvantages of each choice so that it can help you decide.
- Believe in yourself to make a decision and realise that you will not be able to guarantee that all of your decisions are
- Once the decision has been made do not look back. Focus on the next step. Do not regret your decision. It was the right action at the time.
- Avoid making decisions in a hurry. You do not have to decide if you do not have enough information.
If a personal crisis is not properly dealt with, you can experience anxiety and stress. In the long run, stress can have a severe impact on you. You need to take action to overcome this problem, otherwise it will affect you as follows:
- Easy fatigue and tired
- Losing the will of life (“burn out”)
What should be done to reduce the personal crisis that can cause anxiety and stress?
- You need to accept the fact that you are experiencing a personal crisis and cause you restlessness (anxiety) and stress.
- You need to identify the cause that causes your restlessness and stress.
- Learn the anxiety and stress management techniques to reduce anxiety and stress.
- If there is no change in how you feel after a week of practicing the recommended technique, consult your doctor and get their help
- Mental Health – www.myhealth.gov.my
|Last Reviewed||:||19 Oktober 2017|
|Writer||:||Dr. Norizzati Bukhary Bt. Ismail Bukhary|
|Acreditor||:||Dr. Zienna Zufida Bt. Zainol Rashid|