What is conversion?
Conversion was once known as “Hysteria”. It is a condition when one loses awareness which is not due to any recognizable medical cause. It is associated with psychological factors.
What causes conversion?
Conversion can be cause by:
- Difficulty in expressing feeling
- Limited coping skills
- Attention seeking personality
Ciri-ciri ‘konvensi’ adalah:
- Unexplained loss of bodily functions
- Example: Weakness of limbs, blindness deafness
- Lack of concern about the functional loss
- Attention seeking behavior
- Example: Loss of function worsens in the presence of others
How can you help a person with conversion?
Seek professional help.
What happens if help is not given?
Untreated convension can lead to:
- Lack of confidence
- Low Self-esteem
- Few close friends
- Difficulty adjusting to new environment
- Difficulty coping with problems in life
Where can you get help?
Go to the hospital to seek treatment.
|Last Reviewed||:||15 April 2008|
|Writer||:||Dr. Hj. Mohd Nizam bin Abdul Ghani|