What is identity?
Identity is about knowing who you are. Knowing yourself is knows your identity. Identity includes: Sense of self according to your
Identity formation is very complex, it:
- Begins in childhood
- Takes place over a long period of time
- Is an important step during adolescence?
- Involves a variety of experiences in its development
How does one form an identity?
Factors influencing positive identity are: Parent and family members Positive parents who encourage participation in family decision-making help to foster identity development. Factors that enhance identity formation:
- You are accepted as what you are by your family
- You are given clear instructions and consequences of your actions
- Your parents are consistent in enforcing household rules
- You are allowed to express yourself, to reason and negotiate your intentions and concerns
Culture and Ethnicity (Race)
- Culture is a set of attitudes and behaviors among a group of people.
- Social practices and expectations may differ from one culture to another.
- Your ethnicity and cultural practices determine your identity.
Gender Being male or female is an identity and has influence on many aspects of your life. Religion
- Religion has guidelines that shape your identity.
- Religion can be used to help teenagers make transition into adulthood.
Peer group (friends) Mixing with friends influences your identity:
|Last reviewed||:||27 April 2012|
|Content Writer||:||Dr. Sanidah bt. Mohd. Ali|
|Dr. Jemah bt. Sajari|
|Dr. Siti Aishah bt. Saidin|
|Reviewer||:||Datin Dr. Sheila Marimuthu|